But surely, vinegar is also acidic as well as lemon juice. I think I would rather avoid both as they would both work on the fibres. Nor would I take that much notice of what is being done in the dying industry. They are not particularly worried about the survival rates of their products, only to sell as much as possible.

Joepie, East Sussex, UK

From: Cynce Williams

To: Alex Stillwell

I think I remember something about lemon juice not rinsing out--like the
enzymes--vinegar is much better for the final rinse

Cynthia

On Feb 14, 2013, at 3:17 AM, Alex Stillwell wrote:

Thank you Robin.  I agree. I would not even contemplate using enzyme based
products for treating silk. I think I will go along with your method David,
unless anyone come up with any problems. We'll wait until a sunny day, if
we
have one this year. The final rinse sounds good too. I don't think lemon
juice
would attack the silk. When it is manufactured silk is treated with acetic
acid to give it 'scroop', the feel you get when new silk fabric is rubbed
together in your hand, it is removed by washing.

Happy lacemaking

Alex