Dear Clay, et al,

That is not what was said.  The point is that many women whose minds are
mathematically, etc. inclined are drawn to lacemaking.  That is, of course, not
the only group drawn to the craft, but there seems to be a fairly large number
of such math, etc. types who are drawn.  There are, of course, other aspects of
lacemaking which draw other people to the art, but that argument will not go
nearly as far in promoting lacemaking in children, as there are so many other
disciplines, areas, that do that.  Music, the arts, painting, to name a few.
But since those areas do not involve lace, I was emphasizing the mathematical
connection.  And note, I mentioned Torchon in particular.  Flanders would be
another mathematical lace.  Binche went beyond that, and while it incorporates
Flanders in some ways, it went on to other areas as well.  lrb

>I am astonished that no one has challenged the notion that people with
>superior math/science/computer programming skills make the best
>lacemakers!!  It may be that those who are making the claims happen to
>have those skills, but being able to execute a lace pattern is not the
>same as making it a thing of beauty, which separates the competent
>lacemaker from the extraordinary one.  And it take an artist to design
>the lace in the first place.

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."