>---- jeria...@aol.com wrote:
>A large fully-dressed   pillow with many bobbins and dense
>pattern is discouraging and elicits  the usual  "I don't have the
patience!".

Speed reading slays my intent every so often.  The word "dense" is
important in above sentence.

I have seen lacemakers with so many pins on a pillow that untrained eyes
cannot see the lace developing in the area being worked.  Yes,  the finished
lace is emerging from the back, but it really is not the best way  to show
the progression of lacemaking if there is only one lacemaker  present.  I am
also thinking of those laces where bobbins require  stacking.  Stacks of
bobbins can be intimidating!   Worse still, is the grey-haired demonstrator who
tells her audience it has  taken a lifetime to learn to make lace and she
has been working on this piece  for X number of months or years..  You've
lost a possible young lacemaker  by then.

We live in a time when almost instant gratification is  expected.

If the public comes first to a lace with open areas, like  Torchon, the
concept is easier to grasp.   If that first lacemaker  explains the equipment
on her pillow and how bobbin lace is made,  then hands them off to the person
working something more challenging, that  would be the way I'd prefer being
introduced to bobbin lace if I knew  nothing about the subject.

We should not expect a person rushing through a demonstration area to
grasp intricacies of the subject we love immediately.  We are  taught the A B
C's, before we put the letters together and learn to  read.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center