I am self taught and I started with Bucks-point since I learned a long time
ago that if I am not thrilled with the beauty of what I am making I will
never complete it. Thusly I do better by jumping into the deep end of the
pool (which by the way is how I learned how to swim as well) I have to know
that when I am done people are going to go "ooooohhhh.....Awwwwwww....." and
tell me they would never have the patience for that. I want what I do to be
beautiful and something people as well as me will want to mount and put up
for everyone to see. I cross-stitch, knit, crochet, work chainmail, and do
lace that way...Remarkably the method works great for me because I am never
disappointed even if my first attempts have errors. I just keep trying and
perfecting until it is how I wish it to look. I am pleased with my efforts,
I am eager to start more...I generally end up gifting almost all of my
stuff. I have learned I have to be occasionally firm and insist on something
being just mine, or I never have anything and everyone else has my work on
their walls LOL. My mother, bless her soul, did make sure that when she
passed all the works she received from me came back to me. So I am in
agreement that there really is no real line that cannot be crossed if you're
willing to accept the challenge and take the time to make sure you're
learning the basics as you go. The most important thing to remember is you
have to do something you seriously want to do, and that you're enjoying
yourself. I am a strong believer in not letting other's set limits for you.
I do have to admit however that I am very independent and not all people
have my desire to jump in head first into deep water (yes I dived before I
swam) but my brain is wired that way. Everyone has their own idea of where
they wish to start and should be allowed to start there...either at the very
beginning with braids or at the deep end. I do have to admit, that I made 2
braids, it took one afternoon and I KNEW right then that I would never make
lace if I continued in that manner.

Cearbhael