Dear Bev,
I'm not sure I agree with you about the difference between knitting and
bobbin lace, as both have threads that go over each other, but I suspect
that it is because knitting is much more elastic, and therefore the
threads would act differently.  I think we can both agree completely that
knitting does not work like bobbin lace.

I agree, that if the gimp was chosen only because it is the biggest
single thread, even though it is not big enough for the usual proportion,
a larger gimp should be sought.

This is excellent feedback.  Thanks.  lrb

  Bev Walker wrote:
  You raise another interesting point - comparing yarn doubled in
  knitting. The basic knitted structure is one strand, whether single,
  double, or more, interlooping, which differs from bobbin lace, two
  strands crossing each other - and I use the term 'cross' in the usual
  dictionary meaning, not necessarily 'left over right.'

  My free advice if you possibly can, is to find a thicker thread for
  the gimp in this case, for visual as well as structural balance.

  In a fine point ground lace, thinking of Bayeux, the gimp threads are
  made of 6 or more strands of the main thread. They lie flat, are not
  meant to be plied around each other, and the gimp path permits
  threads to be carried along when not needed in the body of the lace.
  Probably not noticeable from several feet away, whereas your altar
  cloth will be seen, if not up close, at least likely well-lit.

  </walker.b e...@gmail.com>

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."