Most times when people use a thread doubled for BL they don't ply it, but just
wind two threads onto each bobbin, which isn't really ideal though.

If you did ply two strands of a 3S thread together it would become 3S/2Z,  a
cabled or double spun thread which would be firm and round - not dissimilar to
the Cordonnet/tatting cottons which are usually 2Z/3Z.

Some people dislike working with Z twist threads, others have no problem with
them.

Brenda

On 11 Mar 2014, at 20:56, B Krbechek wrote:

>  One problem I see.
>  The Bockens thread is S twist, so I would have to ply with a Z
>  twist.  There have been discussions about the problems with Z twist
>  and lacemaking.  Would that be a problem, or would the essential S
>  twist of the plies deal with that?

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk