Devon,
I think it's logical to say "the laces of..."  but "I bought a box of lace".
The box indicates several pieces of lace.

Ilske

> . But noting that the book Antique Laces of the American Collectors, written
in the 1920s, which I used in the research seemed to think that the plural of
lace was laces,
German was written in another way in 1920 than we do today and I am sure with
English it is the same. If we look how much American English differs from
English English today it's very obvious how language change during the time.
And our special vocabulary is also a subject of grammar as the rest of our
language.
But sometimes it is a question of sound
"The lace of Mr X " indicates there is only one
"The laces of Mr X"  is something more important.
It could be that somebody else has another feeling hearing those sentences.

Ilske