When in doubt I consult the Oxford Spelling Dictionary (it has British and
American spelling) , which lists the following:

lace

laces

laced

lacing

lacemaker /s

lacemaking  (but the spell checker on this computer wants to spell it lace
making or lovemaking!)

lace-pillow /s

Similarly, needle follows the same pattern, although neither needlelace nor
needle lace are listed.

Bobbin /s but bobbin lace.

Confusingly, my very large dictionary (not Oxford) uses hyphens in
lace-maker and lace-pillow.

It seems that "You pays your money and takes your pick".

I taught Improve Your English to adults for 15 years, with emphasis on
grammar, spelling and handwriting.  When there was choice my advice always
was, "Be consistent" and don't change from one form to the other in the same
piece of writing.  I suppose you could give the same piece of advice to
beginner lace makers.

With regard to lace or laces, context can help decide which to use.  A box
of laces could mean shoelaces or even shoe-laces.

Liz Pass

In Poole, Dorset where it's dry, overcast and relatively warm