Dear Heather,

We have an Arachne member in Ontario, Malvary, whom I hope you will hear
from.  She will most likely be familiar with the lace makers fairly near to
you and be a very good friend in the process.

Twelve lace groups in Ontario are listed and inserted  in each quarterly
issue of "Canadian Lacemaker Gazette".  Lace  suppliers in Canada advertise in
it.

Sitting next to other bobbin lace makers is often the best way for  someone
to get comfortable with making lace.  There are so many  "understood" and
"automatic" things that you will be able to learn  from those who have been
making lace for a long time.  My suggestion  is to get together with others,
and they will share their pillows with you for a  few rows.  That way, you
will learn what is really the most comfortable  bobbins for you.

It used to be that lace makers used the traditional bobbins for each  type
of lace.  Now, lace makers are more independent.  At least, until  they take
a special class with a well-known teacher who insists on a certain  type of
bobbin.  One thing almost everyone would agree with is that all the
bobbins on each individual pillow should be the same type to make the
movements
of your fingers more comfortable.

Happy you did not buy the horror kit that has discouraged so many
beginners!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center