The general purpose of adding material over the foam, as I understand it, is
to make the pillow last longer. Most of the domed polystyrene pillows I've
seen that have a layer of felt under the cover have a fairly thin layer - the
type of felt you buy in squares for craft work, rather than the thick carpet
underlay type. The cover also helps reduce the noise of working on
polystyrene, but I'm not sure if ethafoam is as noisy to work on.
The more layers you use, the greater the amount of fabric you will need to
buy, and probably the finer fabrics are going to be more expensive, so think
about whether cost is an issue.
The only other comment I would make about using wool is that as a fibre, wool
holds moisture, which is useful for warmth in clothing but could cause
corrosion if you use steel pins, live in a damp climate and don't finish
projects reasonably quickly!

Jane partridgemous...@live.co.uk

> From: hottl...@neo.rr.com
>
> Hello All!  I thought I knew what type of wool to buy to cover my foam
roller but now I'm not so sure.  My plan was to use wool felt:  1) because I
have more than one source & 2) because I applied wool felt to my IOLI $5 foam
pillow last year & it worked like a charm.  When I say wool felt, I am
referring to "fulled wool" that is typically used for wool embroidery, penny
rugs etc.   Not too thick but with some body.  While wandering about the
internet today, I found wool flannel & wool challis.