---- Susan <hottl...@neo.rr.com> wrote:
My plan was to use wool felt....I am referring to "fulled wool" that is
typically used for wool embroidery, penny rugs etc.   Not too thick but with
some body.  While wandering about the internet today, I found wool flannel &
wool challis.

Hi, Susan

Challis and flannel are awfully thin.  My preference is for a sturdier, denser
fabric like felted/fulled wool, or old army surplus and thrift shop blankets.
It would take a lot of layers of challis or flannel to pad the pillow the way a
couple of layers of blanket would.  And many layers of thin fabric have a
pretty good risk of getting some wrinkles in the stack.  This makes a more
lumpy surface and also can produce spots where pinning is more difficult.

For the pillow surface, smooth is what I go for, not wool.  I don't want
material that will hold onto the bobbins or the thread that runs from them to
the pricking.  I don't want fabric with bits of fiber sticking up, to get
tangled into the lace.  I want a relatively dense (threads per inch), smooth
surface.  Cotton bedsheets are good, or calico (muslin, in England) quilting
cottons.

Just my opinion,
Robin

Robin P.