I agree with what Alex has written but I have also read somewhere that the
soil and growing conditions has some effect on the colour of unbleached
flax/linen.  Where the soil is rich in iron and has a reddish colour the flax
fibres will absorb some of that colouring.

There is a lot of detailed info about flax retting here.
http://www.astm.org/SNEWS/SEPTEMBER_2005/akin_sep05.html

Brenda

> When flax is prepared to make linen thread it gores through a process
called
> retting. Traditionally flax stems are allowed to start rotting in order to
> free the fibres either by leaving the cut stems outside so that dew forms
on
> them or by leaving them in water. One of these processes results in grey
> fibres, the other ecru. So the colour of the unbleached linen is the result
of
> the retting process used and also the weather at the time and the time that
> has been allowed for the process. Being a natural product the colour will
> depend on the growing season and how the retting process in managed and
will
> vary from year to year.

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com