Hello Marianne and everyone

I haven't much to add to the excellent site that Lorelei mentioned, but a
few little things came to mind:
I you don't have this one, and really like Buckspoint, it is reasonably
priced and an excellent challenge to manage without diagrams :)
http://www.jeanleader.co.uk/publications/floralbuckspoint.html

I understand that Vera Cockuyt's books were published to accompany her
workshops, so they might not seem as thorough as one would like for
self-teaching. However, they are useful to have with other books on the
same laces.
You might like to give the Niven book another try, for Flanders or invest
in the one by Barbara Corbet which has a lot of information and a handsome
sampler and other patterns, with excellent diagrams. If you can follow
those, you can make the lace :)

Despite our poor dollar, you would be saving  by purchasing books from B.
Fay Verlag as Jeri has mentioned. The Barbara Fay company has a flat
shipping rate for overseas. The book prices work out about the same as if
purchased here at home if being able to shop in person. By saying so, I
don't like to undercut our only lace book seller but if you are watching
pennies, and having to mail order anyway, then it is an option to purchase
from B. Fay (Atelier MB also has a flat overseas rate). As you know within
Canada, domestic parcel postage is calculated on size, weight and postal
code - i.e. distance from domestic sender, It is a situation out of our
hand, just like the up-and-down dollar. We work with what we have eh.
Happy lacemaking, regardless
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada