Hi Julie, Brenda and everyone

An umbrella swift is good to hold a skein for winding directly onto a
bobbin (spool, shuttle) :)

It is possible to wind from a skein without a swift, or a willing pair of
arms to hold the skein for you. Place the skein on a flat surface, place
weights opposite each other within the skein so it is made taut, and
carefully wind off what is needed.

For a precise amount per bobbin e.g. for large-grid projects, commercially
prepared skeins are usually wound by the yard or metre. Measure once around
to find the unit. Mark the beginning of the round in some way and count the
passes as you wind it off.

As Brenda mentioned, ravelry does use 'skein' to refer to the commercial
put-up unit of a yarn, whether it is a ball, cone or skein.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada