My first thought was - 'how much lace are you leaving pinned?' Obviously on the footside you need to leave as much pinned as possible so that you can't pull it up.

Next thought - make your footside passive pair an obviously different pair so that each time you come to it you know. Then you can make sure that when you are tensioning you will be more aware not to pull on that specific pair.

Next thought - if you roll the lace you have worked on to a wooden roller you would only gather the bit between your pillow and the roller. Then if you accidentally pull the passive thread you could ease the passive thread back with a pin to ungather it.

Just my immediate comments.

Malvary in Ottawa where we have a week of mild temperatures and my 5 foot high snowbanks are gradually melting.