Dear Susan, et al,

Actually, I have nothing against modern handmade lace being cut, glued, or
held in place with adhesive tape.  If what you have made is of  substantial
value to you, you will instinctively not use harmful  approaches.
All circumstances and environments are not equal.  We usually  have a few
newer members of Arachne to consider, as well as members living in a  variety
of climates around the world.

If you plan to use antique laces for crafts, we always advise against  any
process that cannot be reversed.

Let me remind of antique lace fans that have been mounted on fan sticks
using glue.  Most of us have seen these items for sale.   Often, glue has
stained the lace, destroying its esthetic  beauty.

Let us consider antique laces.  Too few are still in the public  domain.
Cutting vintage or antique handmade lace or applying  glue or adhesive tape
to cut edges of such lace is rarely  advised.  It would be best if antique
laces were not used to  clothe teddy bears or dolls.  Machine-made laces can
be used for  these and for ornaments and party favors.  They are commercially
 available at reasonable prices.  You can master the skill of over-lapping
lace repeats, and sewing them together with a hand-held needle and fine
thread.   It is something I've been doing since age 7.   Practice first on a
short length of similar but unwanted lace.  You  will realize it is more
efficient than setting up a sewing  machine.

Glues and adhesive tapes are made from a variety of  materials that can
introduce permanent harmful substances into  lace.  Some of these are edible
attractions to small living organisms,  which sets you up for an issue you
never even thought  about.

Arachne conservation/restoration questions are usually referred to  me.
Or, search by subject or my name, for starters.  When  writing directly to me,
please use a detailed Subject line, so I won't  think it is spam.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

P.S.  Why is Arachne so quiet these days?  I suspect Susan sent  this just
to prime some responses.

In a message dated 8/6/2016 3:49:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,