So, next thought: I could put bay leaves in the centre of the wool, It works
in flour, rice, and other dry foodstuffs etc. to keep vermin at bay. Trial
only will tell me if I am right or not.
I also keep all thread ends, and have used those to make pin cushions.
Agnes Boddington - Elloughton UK

Of course, the lanolin in uncleaned wool will be kind to your pins,  but
you all must remember that moths like it!   I have a rather new  home and
moths have not invaded it.  But, if you have moths, you know it,  and will
wish
to avoid feeding them.

Like Antje, I have saved clean thread and yarn bits from canvas work  (in
an air-tight container) to use in stuffing pin cushions, though it has been

years since I've made one.  No metallics.  Embroiderers call these  scraps
"orts", which is usually what you call crumbs from a meal.   These, however,

are "crumbs left over from projects made with  thread.  In our archives, you

will find 28 memos about orts: