Lorelei,
I agree completely. I have never read anywhere that the lace made in
Buckingham in 1750 was point ground. What made me pause on this article was
that Mr. Heathcoat supposedly learned to make lace from the Buckingham lace
makers around 1753 and imitated the point ground on his Loughborough
machine. But the machine was not made until 1809, and we know that point
ground was made before that. So could he have tried, unsuccessfully, to
imitate other grounds, like Mechlin, earlier? and not until the point
ground was made by hand could he make it by machine? Also, we have no idea
what background Mr. Smiles had for writing his article in 1859.
As usual, more questions than answers.
-
​Karen​