This topic is covered in Lace Machines and Machine Laces by Pat Earnshaw, p.
66 and p. 67. This claims that John Heathcoat was born in 1783 (not 1732!) and
died in 1861. The first warp frame making marketable net, which resembled
knitting, was made in 1795 when Heathcoat was 12. He seems to have registered
some variation on the warp frame in 1804 (when he was 21). Then he started
studying the movements of the Northamptonshire bobbin lacemakers and invented
the machine that copied point ground in 1808. So, I would say that this is
entirely consistent with our discussion of point ground.
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10