Lyn made a comment, that perhaps only I got, that she thought that the Back to
Earth movement had a lot to do with it. She discounts the Bi-Centennial.
However, there was a huge call for crafters during the Bi-Centennial. I
participated in the making of a quilt to commemorate Rockland Country (New
York History) and demonstrated at the re-enactment of the Battle of Stony
Point.
However the Back to Earth movement was very present as well. I still have
Alicia Bay Laural’s book Living on Earth, and Native American Funk and
Flash. Not that long ago I saw both of these tomes at an exhibit at the Museum
of Arts and Design, along with examples from a contest (that I remembered)
that was sponsored by Levi Strauss and that involved embroidering blue jeans.
The quality of the embroidery was spectacular, and so vibrant. In fact, there
was a garment by Jill Nordfors Clark in this exhibit, actually connecting one
of our American needle lace artists with this movement. I was in heaven. It
was quite amazing to see someone collect these artifacts, many still in my
“lace room” as part of an historical phenomenon. (Feeling old.) In fact, I
embroidered my own denim shirt with animals and war medals when I was a
teenager, sort of like Native American Funk and Flash, and my daughter has
claimed it.
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10