My observation is that before the 60s America fully embraced the melting
pot model.  My own Grandmother, for example, was not allowed to learn
Norwegian.  She was the first in her family  born in the US, but expected
to only know English.  Preserving heritage from European countries was seen
by many as a rejection of being American.  After the hippie movement, this
attitude began to change.  I think there was some desperation to regain
what was lost by many people.  I also agree with the other factors you are
looking at.  None of these social shifts happened in isolation.

Kim