I started to make bobbin lace in 1970. Nena Lovesey started me off with a
simple pillow, some Belgian bobbins, and excellent basic instruction! I loved
it! When she thought I was able enough, she introduced me to the Swedish
Knipplerscan books. There were two paperback books of patterns, starting with
the simplest and gradually increasing the complexity. As I remember, there were
few instructions, just the pattern and a picture of the finished lace.

I had no more formal instruction from Nena, and I just worked these Torchon
patterns for quite a while. Then I found the Maidment book, Mincoff and
Marriage, Doreen Wright’s book and then Pam Nottingham’s. And the rest is
history - for me at least - my favourite occupation.

Nena believed that the two wars had split families up, and moved them apart, so
that grandparents were no longer able to pass on craft skills to grandchildren.
So she instigated the opening of a craft centre, and collected as many crafts
people as she could to pass on their skills to another generation. This
included “male” crafts as well as “female” ones. I think she had a big
influence on lace, in this area of the UK at least, where she taught and
encouraged so many lace makers.

The 1970’s saw lace classes start, and therefore the production of pillows,
bobbins, pins etc. when there was a market for them - and then of course lace
days, the Lace Guild, the Lace Society, and the realisation that there was a
large lacemaking community in the UK as well as in Europe.

Kathleen
In a wet and chilly Berkshire UK

Sent from my iPad