You would think that someone had written about the Craft revival of the 1970s,
but when I search for this topic, only one article comes up, by Andrea Peach
called Crafting Revivals? An investigation into the craft revival of the
1970s: can contemporary comparisons be drawn? She has made it available to
everyone at this site:
https://openair.rgu.ac.uk/handle/10059/2695
It is a very short article and I encourage everyone to read it.
She writes: Craft in Britain flourished during the 1970s largely due to the
activities of the Crafts Advisory Committee (CAC) now the Crafts Council,
which was established in 1970. The CAC was a state backed, central
organization charged specifically with shaping a new identity for Britain’s
crafts. Its remit included raising the professional status of crafts, and
promoting the craftsman as ‘artist”….
The CAC facilitated and nurtured craft through the allocation of grants and
loans, the commissioning and patronage of work, the organization of
exhibitions, publications and publicity, as well as the running of
conservation projects and training. It was responsible for the creation of
Crafts magazine in 1973, which is still in circulation. Crafts was visually
exciting in comparison to other art magazines of the time, containing large
colour photographs and profiles of makers involved with “the new crafts”.

No one has mentioned the Crafts Advisory  Committee, and yet so many of our
descriptions of how we got started include going to some class that someone
had organized. Was it the Crafts Advisory Committee that was funding these? I
am not sure how this applies to what was happening in the US, although clearly
we benefited from a ripple effect.

Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10