I first became aware of bobbin lace in 1975.

It had been a bad time for me having had two miscarriages in the first half of
the year and I had a strong urge to do something creative;  if I couldn’t
make another baby then it would have to be something else.  That August, to
commemorate the Battle of Britain, a local department shop had a huge panel of
lace displayed in a window with planes, parachutes etc.  One of a  limited
edition made after WW2 and which Carol Quarini has recently used one in
conjunction with her study of lace curtains - see the Lace Guild page on
Facebook.

I remember standing looking at it for ages - well as long as the 3 year old
would allow.  I knew it wasn’t knitted or crocheted, or a form of regular
weaving but I couldn’t work out how it was made.  I had been going to an
Adult Education class making soft toys, sunglasses case etc and on one
occasion I’d worn a cardigan trimmed with a bit of lace which I now know was
Barmen machine made.  The teacher had looked at it and said “did you make
that?” and my response was "of course not, I bought it in the market!”
“Well it looks the same as what we make in the lace class."

So, I joined the  lacemaking class and by the end of the first year I’d made
a couple of hankie edgings, an edging for my daughter’s dress and a couple
of small mats - and I was very pregnant with the twins which meant lacemaking
went onto the back burner for a year or so.

I went back to classes in the late 1970s and things had really changed.
Instead of using white thread or white thread or if you were really good it
could be black thread, everyone was using a different colour!  So I started
making a dark grey coloured mat with pink gimps (and I used crochet thread for
the gimp!).  The teacher thought that the change had come about because by
then the UK had joined the common market it was easier to get coloured thread,
but I’m sure that that wasn’t the reason.  It’s always been possible to
get coloured Sylko sewing machine thread here, even if she didn’t approve of
using it, ie it wasn’t an “accredited lace thread”.  I think it was much
more to do with the start of the Lace Guild and the sharing of ideas.

The other change that happened in the late 70s was the availability of
bobbins.  During my first year of learning to make lace most of my bobbins had
come via the teacher, mostly whatever old ones she could get hold of or nasty
plastic ones with rough edges.  When I went back I asked if she had *any*
bobbins that I could buy and the reply was “yes, would you like some of
these? or these? or these?”.

My teacher was Vera Rigney, who had learned bobbin lace in the 1950s from a
Mrs Helen Hoppe ,who had in turn learned from her mother Mrs Helen Ainger.
Mrs Ainger  was the teacher for The Cobham Laceworkers Association” founded
in 1910 by the then Countess of Darnley, who’s family seat was Cobham.
Helen Ainger’s mother, Jane Dillow, had moved to Cobham in Kent from
Buckinghamshire where she had been part of the, by then, struggling cottage
lacemaking industry.

Brenda in Allhallows

paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk