Friends

Both Devon and Alex Stillwell have pointed out to me that some of the
finest lacemakers are mathematicians and computer engineers. It makes
intuitive sense.
I have a math learning disability so I wouldn't be able to follow more than
superficially, but allowing for that, does anyone have any anecdotes or
observations that would be good to know about?

I ought to mention that poor old Bobby is endlessly queried -- tacitly as
well as openly -- if he is gay. One of the themes I am exploring is what
appears to be the problem of Bobby's masculinity. Knowing something about
math/IT lacemakers (if there were in the 1980s, mind you), would be an
interesting wrinkle since in the United States, math and computers are
coded as masculine activities.

(The latter is not a universal gender-category. In Iran, for example, math
and engineering are distinctly *not* coded as masculine.)

Sharon