I am a classically trained musician (guitar, trumpet, flute, other misc.)
so I read music very well. I'm still very much new to lacemaking, but to
make a relatively simple analogy - the pattern could easily be considered a
score, and the various stitches required to make the various parts of the
lace compared to the different values of notes, the number of stitches a
form of subdivision?

I would also certainly argue that music making does require numeracy,
especially reading music, but over time the math required to understand how
to make music becomes deeply internalized and you don't generally
consciously think about it. There are of course exceptions in exceptionally
complex music, or music in an odd time signature, polyrhythmic music etc.
Though outside of classical music, once you reach a certain level of
mastery even these super complex forms are really felt more than rigorously
counted. I would imagine this is the same with lacemaking?

--
Amy Mills
amymills.net