I'm not 100 percent convinced of a math/engineering link with bobbin lace.
First of all, I noticed years ago a lot of other sciences in
lacemaking--biology (my field), chemistry, psychology, etc.  Also science
fiction fanatics who never went into science (or math, computers, etc.).  I
think of it more as "inquiring minds" and "puzzle solvers" than a particular
field of study.  The only rocket scientist I've met is a quilter, with no
interest in bobbin lace.

Second, I consider myself strongly right-brained, although I have enough
left-brain function to not be "out in left field" like a few severely
right-brained individuals I've known.  Don't give me a verbal description of
what you want me to know, the words get totally in the way of my understanding.
 Give me a map or a flow chart and I've got it in a second.  I believe any
field of information has an underlying logic structure; if you see that
structure the field is easy for you, if you don't see it you have to really
work at getting the hang of it.  I failed miserably the section of chemistry on
enzyme kinetics, I could not solve a single equation, although I could follow
any demonstrations and see why the did what they did.  I've met people who can
not "get" basic probability, no matter how many people tried to help them.
When I first met bobbin lace (torchon) it was so logical I picked it right up.
To me it's all about finding paths, which to me is mapmaking and spatial !
 relations = right-brain functions rather than math and logic which are
left-brain functions.

I second the suggestion that someone (not me) do a survey of  lacemakers with
STEM interest and/or training (not everyone who's fascinated with geology gets
a geology degree) as well as other fields of endeavor.  The results would be
most fascinating.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com