I taught myself from the Doris Southard book until I found a group about 40
miles away. From there, I found suppliers. This was before I used the Internet
much. Found Arachne which helped.  Nowadays I am on Bobbin Lace Makers on
Facebook and try to help with suggestions for people new to lace.  If they
are in the US, I look in the IOLI handbook to see if I can spot a lacemaker in
their city and if so, suggest they go to the IOLI website to contact the area
rep. I also encourage them too join so they can borrow books and videos just
for postage costs. It is wonderful to see so many new lacemakers online and is
a useful reply to the "Dying Art" response when demonstrating.  That drives
me nuts, especially if we are working with children.

Janice Blair Murrieta, CA, jblace.com