About 20 years ago I received a question about whether lace was being made in
Colonial Spanish America. I did not know the answer. I asked a curator at he
Hispanic Society. He didn’t know, but he said it was very likely because the
Spanish tended to set up these industries in their colonies. I asked another
scholar at the Met about this and she said it would have to be researched in
the Codexes. She was involved in a show, The Colonial Andes: Tapestries and
Silverwork, 1530-1830. The show was very striking for the sophistication of
the craftsmanship in the tapestries, as well as the Silver. Also there were
many paintings showing people in Spanish America wearing lace.
Today, on my Instagram stream I was treated to an image from a textile
conservator that really caught my attention. It was from the Codex of Martinez
Companon. The conservator says it is part of a manuscript sent to the king of
Spain in the late 18th century. The information about it, in the index, says
Mestiza de Valles texiendo trensilla. This seems to mean Mestizo woman weaving
braid. Does this show a woman making bobbin lace? What do people think about
this?
Here is the link:

http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/obra-visor/trujillo-del-peru--volumen-ii/html
/966bf129-a181-4dd1-996b-ac44db7844e2_110.html

Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10