The artifacts in the hands of the lady in the picture I think that they are
clearly bobbins. By the way very well represented.
What really surprises me is the lace displayed on the big pillow, as the Codex
is dated in 18th century. This is older than The picture that Bev has
contributed with and taken in last century.
The word “trenzilla” it means a type of ribbon that usually was made with the
hands as a plait, as a trimming which was used to cover the seams, and also to
decorate dressings, hats, objects, or any other piece made with thick tissues,
so the threads were also thick, golded or plated.
It Leads me to think that this word “trenzilla” and the verb “trenzillar”,
could be used in the next century to describe “a type of lace made with thick
threads” in the Spanish Colonies.
On another hand, it is known  that in Spain were made narrow laces since 17th
century worked with few pairs of bobbins, done for the same purpose, that of
trimming and/or decorate the underskirt and linens but in this case the
material was white thread.
The picture in this case shows a big pillow, and the piece does not seem a set
of narrow braids worked at the same time all broad wise, but a wide piece of
lace.
Very interesting. I would like to hear the opinion of Maria Greil.
Regards.

Carolina de la Guardia
www.carolgallego.com