Hi

I would look at the website of ‘The Australian Lacemakers of Calais’ who have
lots of information about the machine lacemakers who left England in the early
1800s and set up in Calais only to have to leave during the French Revolution.
A book called ‘Well Suited to the Colony’ was written by Gillian Kelly gives
lots of information.  I was asked to review this book by the Lace Guild about
2007 and as a result found the above website. I also found the then chairman, I
think he is or was based in Sydney, extremely helpful as well as Gillian Kelly.
 Both sent photos and all sorts of information and even provided a link for a
working machine. I gave a few talks at the time.

Hope this is also of some help.

Regards
Maureen where is is currently -5C UK