The machines which sought to imitate bobbin lace date back to the early 1800s
and I think the one I saw in Nottingham some years ago was mid-late 1800s.

The frame knitting machines, one of which I saw demonstrated at G H Hurt in
Nottingham, do date back to the 1600s, they were designed to knit stockings
rather than make lace.

For anyone interested in the history of machine lace I thoroughly recommend
the Pat Earnshaw books.

Brenda

> Yes, a number of Arachne members saw the Nottingham stockinette machines
> from the 17th or 18th C (I'm not sure if the ones we saw went back to the
> 1600's -- I find that hard to believe in hindsight), including ones still
> working. I have a really lovely shawl knit on one of those machines; quite
> a few other Arachnids bought knitted items.

Brenda Paternoster
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk