Hi Jane,

I thought I remembered them saying the stockinette machines at Hurt's were
from the 16th C (I still find it amazing they are still working after four
centuries) -- they were definitely English. I know that the
machine-knitting industry started under Queen Elizabeth because she was the
monarch who gave them such a hard time. One machine was taken to France,
put back together and copied, while England was suppressing the industry.
But people have given better references to all that already. But I'm
positive that the Hurt machines were English.

Nancy
Ashford, CT USA