On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Mihai RUSU wrote:
>
> > I wont recommend the round robin packet load balancing as that would do
> > more problems with TCP connections, asymetric routing , RTT values.
>
> I guess if you'd use multiple connections to the same ISP (and same
> access point) that would solve the problems of different RTT values.
> Otherwise i can confirm there are problems, i had a lot more (needless)
> retransmits using a dsl + two isdn links which was probably due to very
> different RTT on both links.

Yep, also you mentioned about that patch, which would do if having the
same provider as yuo said. In theory the lower layer u do the load
balancing the more equal it is (think about per destination, per packet,
multilink ppp, ATM ...)

> > Cisco recommends the per destination load balancing solution. I think if
>
> It's not always practical. For example in my case one of the links is
> asymetric (256k upstresm/1mbit downstream), the other isn't. So
> distributing traffic with a normal multipath route would result in some
> connections (maybe downloads) beeing on the link with slow downstream.

I guess (as always) that there is a price to be paid. If this situations
with traffic being routed on the slow link happens too often some static
routes would help :)

Mihai RUSU

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any company,
unless otherwise specifically stated.