Steve M Bibayoff schrieb:
> Tried both of these, am still seeing this weird ping affect. If no
> traffic travels over the tunnel for a while (>5 minutes) I can't get
> from .0/24 neta(east) to .1/24 netb(west) till after I send some traffic
> from west to east first. Once I do that, everything else works fine.
>
> Is there soemthing, that someone could think of, that I should check?

Do you have NAT / mangling / etc. running somewhere? The connection
tracking timeout is 500 s afaik, maybe GRE is NATed on one of your gateways?

A possible explanation would be that east does SNAT on GRE packets or
west does DNAT on GRE ... so when east tries to reach west, the packet
is SNAT'ed or DNAT'ed and therefore doesn't reach west, but when west
tries to reach east, connection tracking information is set up on both
routers so it works ... until the timeout expires.

David Lamparter