David Lamparter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you have NAT / mangling / etc. running somewhere? The connection
> tracking timeout is 500 s afaik, maybe GRE is NATed on one of your
> gateways?
> A possible explanation would be that east does SNAT on GRE packets
> or
> west does DNAT on GRE ... so when east tries to reach west, the
> packet
> is SNAT'ed or DNAT'ed and therefore doesn't reach west, but when
> west
> tries to reach east, connection tracking information is set up on
> both
> routers so it works ... until the timeout expires.

That's is it. It actually happens when going from west to east, I just
never noticed it before.

Thanks for the clue.

Steve

ps. I know this isn't the appropiate list, but could someone see what
iptable rule needs to be changed to make this not happen(rules generated
from script found at: http://www.asgardsrealm.net/linux/firewall ).

[root@east root]# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  east.somenet.com    east.somenet.com
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:http
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpt:re-mail-ck
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp
dpt:re-mail-ck
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:51
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:51
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:47
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:47
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:isakmp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:https
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level
info prefix `FIREWALL: Filter-INPUT '

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.1.0/24       192.168.0.0/24
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.0.0/24       192.168.1.0/24
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.2.0/24       anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.1.0/24       anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level
info prefix `FIREWALL: Filter-FORWARD '

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.1.0/24       anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.2.0/24       anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  east.somenet.com    east.somenet.com
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  somenet.com         somenet.com
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level
info prefix `FIREWALL: Filter-OUTPUT '