I have used both VB and Labview to do what you are asking.  In my
opinion, Labview is far easier to use and maintain.  Non-programmer
design engineers have picked up on my Labview programs quite easily
for minor modifications.  They could not have done so as easily with
VB.  Also, if you use Labview instrument drivers, you will not have to
look up any GPIB SCPI commands (like READ? or :FUNC:VOLTS DC), the
drivers have all of this built in.  This makes it much quicker to
write your program.  Also easier to create and write CSV files.
Dialog boxes for testers are no problem either.  Try it, you'll like
it.