Dear Group,

Please can anyone tell me roughly how to achieve the following, before
I obtain LabView:

We have a GPIB instrument that takes many measurements; we need to
create an automated test routine using it. I'm assuming it's easy
enough to set up 2-way comms between our PC and the instrument.
(Sending GPIB mnemonics to it, reading bulk data from it.)

We need to create numerous flat spreadsheet (CSV) files, with columns
of different data from the instrument, plus comments entered by the
test person.

Can LabView generate dialog boxes to get data from the tester, then
insert the data into specific positions in the CSV file?

Can LV also perform different sequences of measurements (ie. send
different GPIB command strings) and put up different prompt messages
to the tester, depending on various conditions?

Finally, why (if at all) would using LabView be advantageous over
trying to use Visual Basic for all the above?

Many thanks in advance - please reply to this newsgroup.

Matt