I'm not really an expert to answer this question but I don't need to be, there are
hundreds of others that have gone down your path
before. Here is a link to dozens of documents that show the US government and other
governments around the world are embracing the
Open Source movement. Since the DOD already uses open source software then I'm sure
your company would want to appear to be
following in-line with the norm... ;)

<http://www.egovos.org/Resources>

Michael Aivaliotis