You do not need C to use VISA. You use only LabVIEW functions. You can
also use the I/O Assistant function in several places in your diagram
as sort of a stand-in for a regular driver - especially for setting an
instrument to default values. Creating your own driver is not really
that hard and certainly no harder than creating some sort of scripting
program. The <A
href="http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/default.htm";>Instrument Driver
Network</A> has several links including tutorials and a new set of
guidelines, that (I believe), make creating a driver easier than ever.
Lot's of examples and templates are included. Unless you venture into
the somewhat murky world of IVI, you'll not see one piece of C code.
Good luck.