On 14.10.2016 16:10, Jürgen Hestermann via Lazarus wrote:

In most cases they never get to the step "find out how it works".
If it works, nobody wants to invest time anymore to look under the hood.
So they always operate on the surface and repeat the same
subobtimal programming over and over again
because they don't know how to do it better.

That is absolutely correct.

But the point where the "knowing how it works" is just a matter of deliberate choice (or the professor, the student or the situation you get in and need to crawl deeper into the complexity of the matter.-

- do I need know how/why the GUI builder creates the code that makes a Button visible on a Form and my Event handler be called when a button is pressed ? (I.e. do I need to be able to write the code myself without the help of the GUI builder ?)

- do I need to know how the startup code works that make the Form visible on the screen ?

- do I need to know how the Event-Queue and the checksynchronize() system works ?

 - do I need to know what system, calls the pascal program performs ?

- do I need to know what ASM code is generated from a pascal instruction ?

 - do I need to know how semaphores are done by atomic instructions ?

 - do I need to tell the difference between CISC and RISC ?

 - do I need to know what microcode the CPU runs ?

 - do I need to know how a transistor works ?

 - do I need to know how dotating silicone is done ?

In most cases it's better to first concentrate on the task at hand and dig deeper if necessary.

-Michael