On Thu, 23 Feb 2023, Luca Olivetti via lazarus wrote:

El 23/2/23 a les 13:52, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus ha escrit:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2023, Luca Olivetti via lazarus wrote:

El 23/2/23 a les 11:11, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus ha escrit:
But IMO: in the first place you should ask yourself if displaying 10.000 records is
what you actually want to do.

No, I just need to display 20 or so records, the problem is I'd like the user to be able to scroll over the whole table, so I'd have to hook a lot of events in the TDBGrid (if that's even possible, otherwise I'd have to implement a replacement) and get rid of the TDBNavigator and implement a custom one in its place.

The LCL could do with a pager component. Seems to be standard when Web pages
display grids/tables, so users should be used to it :-)

Even if such a component existed, I don't think it would fit my use-case.

Why do you think so ? Paging is exactly what you want to do.

Maybe I should just write a TDataset descendant tailor made for this application, any pointer on how to write a minimal descendant? I'm looking at the TMemDataset implementation as an example, is it a good one?

As good as any other.

The idea is to substitute open and scrolling (next/prior/locate/etc.) with the appropriate sql statements to just retrieve a small buffer of data around the current record (I can do that easily enough), though I'm not sure that would be enough to fool the TDBGrid.

I don't know what the grid exactly does, so I cannot advise.

Michael.