Marco van de Voort schrieb:
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 05:03:23AM +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

I've just finished a first version of an documentation manager, which can create documentation projects for RTL, FCL, and any Lazarus packages. Main usage: quick creation of the final documentation, unit skeletons and update of existing XML doc files.

For user documentation or for the lazarus project? Those are not necessarily
the same things.

For documentation writers, and for users which want to have their local or otherwise specialized (national...) documentation.

Since it's so overly complicated to interface such an application with the existing FPDoc tools (fpdoc, makeskel...), the next version will be much closer to Lazarus packages, using heavily modified versions of the fpc/utils/fpdoc/ units. The final project will become available in lazarus examples/docmgr (not to confuse with "dockmanager", for use by everybody :-)
[Recommendations for better directory/project names are welcome :-]

I think lowering the reliance on makefiles and shellscripts is a good thing.
I'm already thinking about fixing the lpr in docs/html in time. But I first
have to figure out if it is functional or not. If only because I'm slowly
reaching the borders of my shellscript knowledge.

I don't understand why (platform specific) shell scripts shall be used for documentation purposes - is Pascal not suited for such tasks? ;-)

But while I like that direction, currently for me it is more important to
keep the lcl building lazarus free.  (that is no need for a updated build
updated lazarus to build the docs, since I do it remotely on a server)

Building final documentation is not a special problem when project files are used, which can be generated and updated by e.g. my documentation manager - then FPDoc can do it all.

I also commited a clenaed up version of the script I use to generate lcl.chm
as "docs/html/build_lcl_chm.sh".
The documentation manager will eliminate the need for any scripts, in an platform independent way :-)

If that is at the expense of requiring a GUI system then IMHO it gets worse
rather than better:-)

A GUI is not a requirement, it only simplifies the development of the desired functionality :-)

I consider to commit a first demo version of my documentation manager, to clarify how it looks and what it can do. Then everybody can see what parts can be made available in a commandline version, too.

DoDi