Mattias Gaertner wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:34:12 +0100
Micha Nelissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

Yes, so if curr_file_age > old_file_age + 2 seconds, pop up diff dialog, otherwise not. So if it's written, and the time is increased by one second, it's OK.

I'm not sure, I got your point.
For example: I open an .rst file in the IDE. I build and the project and
somehow the compiler rebuilds this .rst. With the 2 second approach, the IDE
will ignores the changes and the user wonders, why his .rst didn't change.
Or: will not even notice.

Ah, you gave a counterexample why my approach would not work.

Things are not that bad :-). It's usually the milliseconds that get rounded/truncated/whatever.

Yes. The problem is, that this happens after some time passed and not
instantly on write.

Ok, so how about: when the file was written less than margin+1 seconds ago, it has to be precisely the same, otherwise there may be a margin.

Micha