On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt escreveu:
> > Maybe it's easier to revert your component to SQLDb.
> >
> Probably not. As i said is just a question of time. The design is
> already on my mind and the implementation seems not to be difficult.
> > SQLDB has a working ApplyUpdates, even for queries
> > with fields of more than one table.
> >
> In my experience sqldb.ApplyUpdates is not working at all:
> http://www.freepascal.org/bugs/showrec.php3?ID=4725.
> And its internals is somewhat slower(the results are in miliseconds):
> http://www.geocities.com/camara_luiz/sqlite4fpc/benchmarks.html.

These results are very strange. I am writing articles about
embedded databases, and while for simple queries, Sqlite
is really fast, for complicated queries, it's a factor 12
or more  _slower_ than either mysql or firebird.

I'm talking about running 600.000 queries here, inserting
over 600.000 records. (and yes, I did optimize transactions
and so on)

> > You would then also have parameter support and so on.
> >
> Anyway, i think that sqldb and TSqliteDataset are for different
> purposes. While the first offers full support to Client/Server
> databases, transactions, rollbacks etc., the second is good for
> Desktop/embedded applications that need to manipulate data. Also
> TSqliteDataset offers the ability to easily (with few lines of code)
> create databases at runtime, even in disk or in memory databases (using
> filename ':memory:').

The outcome of my investigations is unfortunately not so favourable
for the combination sqlite/pascal ;-)

Michael.