Alexandre Leclerc wrote:

2006/5/9, Vincent Snijders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

A drawback of chm, that I don't know about free tools to generate it except the Microsoft Help Workshop, which is windows only. No problem for me, because windows
is my main platform, but still.

I have heard (not tested) that the only actual open source application
that can make CHM files is HelpMaker - Help Authoring Tool which is
coded in Delphi. So it only works under windows (unless ported to
lazarus?)

http://www.vizacc.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/helpmaker

The licence is somewhat very much *public* oriented:

http://blog.vizacc.com/archives/indiv_000127.php

If someone check it out to see if the application is actually
compiling the CHM files itself, we could see how it does, etc.

I am presently using HelpMaker and I think it's quite a good program. It does create stand alone .chm files with no problem. It has options for other formats as well. I found compiling .hlp files buggy, needs a bit of work there if one really needed .hlp files, but otherwise an excellent program.

George