On 5/10/06, Bogusław Brandys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not so fast. Look deeper into source code and you will find calls to M$
OCX :-( I haven't time to confirm that but it looks like a crap based on
M$ ActiveX for generating CHM (other parts are good - for Winhelp,RTF etc)

I also took a closer look and CHM is based on LZX compression. I don't
think this has being implemented on pascal yet. Also CHM is
proprietary, we would be building our things on top of muddy terrain.

I think the best quick solution for us will be html files, and latter
some way to compress and index the html files. They are easy to do
viewed on all platforms (just use a browser!) and standards compliant.

For full text search, if all docs are on the same directory structure
we can do a "Find in Files" =)

I think we should do a little research and see what other
cross-platform solutions out there are using.

Qt - http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/helpsystem.html

Qt uses their own tool and format apparently.

wxWidgets - http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/helpview.htm

It uses a format which is almost a CHM. They even say it's based on MS
HTML Help system. I think they just used another method for creating a
TOC, a cross-platform compression method and then created a viewer for
it.

Despite being a "new format", I'm inclined for our own CHM-like
format. It's probably easy to implement. We can even get "inspired" by
wxWidgets method, or try to be compatible with their format if people
don't like yet another format.

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho