> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, but no:
> >> - No external dependencies, please.
> >
> > I agree on this. It must be a self standing format without any
> > 3rdParty requirements.
> >

> I still think that sqlite is the best.The only problem is external
> library, but I suspect that it can be compiled into static library and
> linked directly to pascal program instead of using external DLL/SO.
> Second problem could be Tsqlite3dataset , but we are not forced to use
> it,and there are simpler but more stable pascal classes for sqlite3.
>
> Advantages:
> - single file
> - almost full SQL 99
> - useful functions like "glob" ( I have used it to create limited
> full-text search over 70 MB database and it really flow)
> - XML could be stored are text or blob with keywords table linked to it
> for full text search and topics index
>

> Just my (modest) two cents.

I don't see the big deal with external dependencies because almost all programs
have one
or more external dependencies: a system DLL/DSO, a config file, etc. Even CHM
format
creates multiple files and depends on them.

As for the sqlite dll/dso being linked into exe - I don't think you can do that
unless you
have the object file - you can link in GCC object files into Pascal programs.
But if
SQLite is compiled with MS VC on windows the object files are not compatible..
not sure
what it is compiled with.

As for speed of SQLite - don't think it is an issue since on their website they
show that
in many cases SQLite is faster than even MySQL (but slower in other cases).
This is a
documentation tool for ONE user to be searching on his hard drive. The speed
won't affect
the end user a significant amount since it is only one single user doing
queries on the
database. If it is the website database we are talking about which powers the
doc system -
then maybe a more powerful database is needed.. but even then, I wonder what
database you
are going to use which is not externally dependent - other than TDBF.  And in
my opinion,
the end user could care less how many files are generated for the documentation
database -
they care that the documentation works and that it works better than our current
non-indexed system - XML and HTML files!
Remember - HTML files ARE an external dependency themselves. And they work just
fine for
browsing around. I would NOT want all my HTML files compiled into one file
because I want
to look into each html file and see how it is designed - plus single files are
more prone
to corruption than multiple files.