> I think you are one of a selected few.  CHM is basically compiled html
> files into one file. Why would I want to see the code of each help
> file I am viewing.  All I want in the content.
>
> A single file is great for distribution (smaller and easier to copy)
> compared tho say a 1000 html pages with there external images in the
> mix.

Well I like having the HTML available that I can edit in a source file
in case I need to print the documents and the current format is not
good for my printer. Sometimes I change the font size of the documents
so I don't waste as much paper. I don't like having the file hidden in
some CHM file that I can never have access to with my bare hands.
If there is a CHM decompiler that is legal to use and not illegal then
that would be good. Or if you offered HTML and CHM that would
be good - can you extract all the HTML out of CHM legally?
Because one time I tried to decompile a HLP file and it turned out
to be a huge mess.

> Also the corruption comment makes no sence. How often does CHM files
> get corrupt? It's never happened to me (maybe I am just lucky)  Why
> would any other single compressed file be any different?  That would
> be like saying any .zip or .rar or tar.gz file is not a good idea.

Well when I back up my hard drive I do not dare put it into one zip file.
I've had 3GB zip files damaged before. Instead I use several zip files
instead of one big one.

But in the case of a CHM file corruption is not much of an issue since
it probably won't be written to often, and the user can redownload
the CHM file any time he wants.

I've also had several microsoft formats go corrupted on me such as
giant email files that are stored in binary form in one big file. Losing
all your email is not fun. But for CHM format, again, it is not as big
of an issue since you could always download the CHM file again.