On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 05:05:18PM +0200, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:
> [...]
>
> >What does Qt offer in help formats?
> >
> Qt provides standard html files, and a navigation program called
> assistant, which provides a sidebar, and other navigation tools, but
> they specify that a standard browser can be used instead.
>
> No particular file format, hyperlinks to navigate, very simple and
> effective.
> You can bookmark, remember the history, and exploit all the features of
> a browser without any particular effort.
> Building help files requires the same work as for wiki pages.
> As a user I found it much better and faster than most of the other help
> systems.
> As compared to Delphi/Kylix help system, IMHO it's significantly faster
> and more stable.
>
> Giuliano

I'm actually the italian gimp and gimp manual translation team manager.
GIMP help system is based on DOCBOOK source format, is inherently
multilingual, multiple output format ready and has a context sensitive
search that works on the HTML result files, creating the pdf indexies
too.

My suggestion is to:

- use HTML as the target format (so user can always use any HTML file
  browser he/she likes)

- start with multilanguage translation in mind. IMHO an docbook only solution
  is clumsy without some form of source language control/revision system.
  I see better a system like the following:

  gettext/po files->xml(docbook?)->output(html/pdf/hlp in order of
  priority)

But _please_, use HTML as the final format and do enable the textual ide
to use it!

bye

--

Marco Ciampa